Warning: these are addictive! This crunchy, salty snack is the perfect addition to a New Year’s party… and it’s quick and easy! Nuts are loaded with fiber and healthy fats that fill you up and keep you satisfied, so you’re not as tempted to snack on the junk.
When you get your calories and fat from whole, unprocessed foods the body rejoices and puts it to work instead of storing it on the thighs. The spices serve a purpose too – they help to rev up the metabolism, which is always a plus! So, there’s no guilt to be felt when you indulge in this party snack!
Crunchy, salty, slightly spicy and highly addictive… the perfect party food that everyone loves, but will never know is healthy!!
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In a medium bowl add the oil, smoked paprika, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne. Stir to combine and make a paste.
- Add the almonds and/or pecans and stir until they are evenly and thoroughly coated. This takes about 3-4 minutes to get nuts evenly coated with spices… so stir, stir, stir.
- On a cookie sheet with parchment paper place the almonds in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, opening the oven to shake the cookie sheet to turn the nuts over every few minutes. Make sure the nuts are in a single layer when you return them to the oven.
- Remove from oven when the nuts are fragrant.
- Allow the nuts to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Once completely cooled store in a glass mason jar with lid in pantry.
Smoked paprika is essential in this recipe, regular paprika can’t be substituted. You can find smoked paprika in the spice section in most grocery stores, health stores or specialty shops like Williams Sonoma.
Chipotle chili powder is my favorite for this recipe, but regular chili powder will work great too.. it will just give it a different flavor.
Here’s to a happy, healthy new year… Happy New Year to you all!