We are always hearing that we should eat more greens, but how in the world do you make that a reality without feeling like all you are eating are salads? And it seems like everyone is fighting off colds, flu and feeling a bit run down this time of year as the weather fluctuates.
So, I want to introduce a superfood to you that has more vitamin C than any other food on the planet. As well as share one of my favorite cleansing, immune boosting drinks. It tastes amazing and it’s one of the best ways to get those greens into your diet!
If you don’t have a juicer I highly recommend investing in one. Nothing can improve your health like juicing! Ideally I would love to juice every day, even multiple times a day, and I do try to do that a few times a year….. but in reality I aim to juice a few times a week. Even with just one to two juices a week I can tell a difference in how my skin glows and my energy levels are greatly improved. It’s like liquid gold to your body – cleansing, nourishing and transforming every cell.
So what superfood has more vitamin C than any other food on the planet? Camu camu! Camu camu is a berry from the Amazon. You probably won’t find this in the produce section of your grocery store, but it can be found online in powder form. 1 teaspoon contains 1180% vitamin C! It also possesses anti-viral properties, therefore helping to strengthen the immune system to ward off the common cold, flu and other viruses. As if that’s not enough it’s been shown to help with stress and anxiety. It has a tart and tangy taste, that compliments this juice perfectly!
I have to admit I shied away from juicing about 7 years ago because I was afraid of getting too much sugar from the fruits. I thought it would feed fungus / candida. Back then I wasn’t concentrating on the veggies enough. Now I try to have the majority of my juice comprise of vegetables with an apple or two added in to sweeten it. And I don’t avoid carrots either due to their sugar content (unless you have blood sugar issues).
You see, fruits and vegetables are God’s perfect food and all the nutrients, phytonutrients, antioxiadants, etc., work together to nourish us. So, yes carrots and apples have sugar, but lets take apples for example – they have some fruit sugar, but they also contain antioxidants and malic acid which are both anti-fungal.
The beauty of juicing is that all the components (some discovered and many still undiscovered) in the food work together to nourish the body. So while I don’t overdo it with juicing too many fruits…I don’t worry about the sugar. Juicing is hands down, one of the most powerful things you can do for your health!
There are many great juicers on the market today. I have a Champion juicer that I’ve had for about 12 years now and I love it. It’s a basic mid-range juicer and is easy to clean, which is imperative for me and my busy schedule.
If you need some motivation to start juicing watch the documentary, “Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead”. It is so inspiring!
A green juice never tasted so good! This is my all time favorite green juice. Drinking this even just once or twice a week makes the skin glow and increases energy. It’s also a perfect cocktail if you feel you’re coming down with something like the flu or a cold.
- 1-2 apples
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 lemon (I peel half and keep the skin on the other half*)
- large handful spinach
- 1-3 kale leaves (any variety: curly or lacinato*)
- 1 leaf swiss chard (any variety: green or rainbow)
- 1 cucumber
- Keep peels on everything and use stalks of the greens as well as the leaves. Process the vegetables and fruit through your juicer. I also have friends that love to make this juice in their high-powered blender like vitamix or blendtec. I find it to be too pulpy and prefer to juice instead, but this is a fantastic option as well!
- Once you are done juicing, taste to see if you want to add more lemon, apple or a few drops of stevia. Add coconut water if you desire.
- If adding the camu camu powder, pour the juice into a blender and add the powder and blend for a few seconds. It tends to clump when just stirring it in with a spoon.
- I like to serve the juice in an ice-cold glass that I keep in the freezer. In the summer I freeze some coconut water in the bottom of the glass to make it extra cold.
- Depending on the size of your fruits and vegetables you can probably get 2 large glasses of juice. It’s best to drink right away, but you can store it in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator and drink throughout the day.
*The peel of the lemon is the most potent medicinal part of the fruit. It does have a strong bitter taste, so I usually only juice half with the peel and peel the other half…. if you don’t mind the taste, the more the better.
*Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale, is slightly sweeter and more mild than curly kale. It has a flat leaf with a pattern that resembles dinosaur skin. It’s sold in bunches in the produce section at most grocery stores
*Camu camu is a berry from the Amazon. It contains one of the highest concentrations of vitamin C of any food on the planet and possesses anti-viral properties, therefore helping to strengthen the immune system to ward off the common cold, flu and other viruses. It has also been shown to help with stress and anxiety.